Tuesday, August 24, 2010

40 Day water fast

Hi There,




It’s almost time for the 40 day water fast. I’ll be starting in around 3 weeks’ time. I have not done one for a long time so this will be quite interesting. The Fast I do is a complete abstinence from food. The only substance I have is water. In large quantities. I need around 2 Litres a day to sustain myself. The big thing with a long fast like this is to plan and prepare. You can’t decide to do a 40 day fast on the fly. You need to scale down on your food’s and get ready for it. It’s also quite a mental challenge. I have to get my brain ready for this. If I have any doubt or no desire to do it, it can become so much easier to stop fasting. Any excuse to not fast or to stop fasting during the middle of the fast will work if my motivation is not there. So that’s what I am working on now. I am also busy writing the beginnings of a book. I have decided to record the fast and the various days so that others can learn from my experience. I’ll also upload some video’s to youtube as well.


To start with I’ll answer some of the questions I am sure people are asking.


One of the questions is Why? Why fast? What’s the point? Why do it? For me as a Christian it’s about relationship with God. The bible has numerous examples of fasting of various people either to get closer to God or to repent of their lives because they are not as close to God as they should be. Jesus even mentioned Demons that could only be dealt with by fasting. I would say that I have an element of the first two. I want to be closer to God. I want to hear his voice and see him move and be a part of his plans. I am repentant that I am probably not where I should be with God. I should be closer to him as should all of us. Fasting is a biblical principal that assists with this process. Jesus fasted before he started ministry. He fasted for 40 days and I am sure that if he did it then it has to be some principal to that. If the Son of God fasts why should we not fast? We don’t get to heaven by works but we do need to consider disciplines that help us improve our relationship with God. Prayer, Reading the Bible and fasting fit in these categories.






Well, let’s see how we go.






Cheers


Greg

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I'm going to do a 40-day water fast myself starting January 1/2011. I didn't realize it took a lot of mental and physical preparation, I found that out tonight. I'm going to start praying more and researching more about it. Let me know how it went with you. It seems by the time of my posting you would have done it already.

    ReplyDelete